Skip to main content
The Official Web Site of the State of South Carolina

How to File a 90(e) Complaint

Potential clients are welcomed to contact the South Carolina Human Affairs Commission, as they deem necessary. Visitors are received by appointment or as a walk-in.

  1. If you feel that you have been discriminated against based on race, color, religion, age (40 and above), sex, national origin, and disability.

  2. You have up to 180 days from the date the discriminatory act occurred to file with the South Carolina Human Affairs Commission.
  3. To file a complaint, you should call, write, or come into the office and talk with one of the Intake Investigators. He/she will be able to explain what we do and help to determine if you have a basis for filing a complaint. He/she will give you a Non Employment Initial Intake Questionnaire (PDF) to complete and return.
  4. When the Intake Department receives your written complaint, it will be reviewed to determine jurisdiction for filing under the SC Human Affairs Law, as amended, and/or the Equal Enjoyment and Privileges to Public Accommodations Act, as amended.

    If a jurisdiction is established, a formal Charge of Discrimination will be prepared for you to sign, have notarized, and return to this office. Upon receipt of your complaint, it will be assigned a charge number, and served on the Respondent (party you are filing against). Your charge will be assigned to an investigator.
  5. The length of time needed to conduct a conciliation depends on the complexity of the complaint, the availability and cooperation of the parties, and the caseload of the investigator. The average processing time ranges from 90 to 180 days (3 to 6 months).