Skip to main content
The Official Web Site of the State of South Carolina

How to File a Housing Complaint

If you feel that you have been discriminated against, you have up to 180 days from the date of the alleged discriminatory act to file with the Commission, or one (1) year to file with HUD. 

To file a complaint:

The first thing you should do is call, write, or come into the office and talk with a Housing Intake Investigator. He/she will be able to explain what we do and help to determine if you have a basis for filing a complaint. Click here for the Fair Housing Complaint Questionnaire to complete. 

1.    Once the Intake Investigator receives your information, it will be reviewed to determine if you have a basis for filing a discrimination complaint.

2.  If so, a complaint will be prepared for you to sign and return to this office.

3.  Upon receipt of your complaint, it will be assigned to an Investigator.

The average processing time is 100 days.